State of Play 2018/wk28

VBScript Been converting VBScript files from vbs to wsf, so that can use common library files, thus reducing the size of the files: placed the revised wsf files on my sendto menu. Wrote VBScript for generating a series of folders based on calendar sorted into seasons, months, weeks and days, and parts of day: with […]

State of Play 2018/wk25

Experimented some more with php and css to create a new wordpress theme. As mentioned earlier Divi been giving me memory problems on each upgrade. I tried using Divi again yesterday (Tuesday), and I had to use phpmyadmin to change the theme as couldn’t get back to the wordpress dashboard. It maybe a plug-in conflict, […]

State of Play 2018/wk23

{state of play posts are a snapshot of activities started and/or completed by the point in time indicated. Thus not what was done in a week, but what was done between the current post and the last “state of play” post.} WordPress themes and Website Modifications Learning theme development (css/php) got put aside whilst worked on […]

State of Play 2018/wk12

Website been down since attempted to get my SSL certificate renewed about 2 weeks ago. Finally regained access and got rid of the unsafe site notice late Friday afternoon (24/03/2018).  In the meantime transferred websites on wordpress and blogger that I helped my dad setup,  to my own accounts so that I can do something […]

State of Play 2018/wk05

Problematic week. Something simple became complicated and more time consuming than it should have been. Poses an anomaly or paradox with use of software especially spreadsheets. In the first instance my adoption of spreadsheets was to: Improve presentation over hand written calculations Reduce round-off errors on carry through to dependent calculations Reduce transcription errors between […]

State of Play: 2017/wk52

I was taking another look at statistics, and seems I made an error when reading data from wikipedia, which I opted for in preference to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) because it was easier and faster to read. Instead of getting the population for Yorketown seems I may have  read the post code. So my […]

State of Play: 2017/wk48

I mentioned previously I gave up on the idea of developing Android Apps, the available software requires too much ram, and I had already been using MS Excel to prototype displays, therefore opted for the use of Google sheets for Android Apps. I’m now considering another situation. Mostly I do calculations in MS Excel, and […]

State of Play: 2017/wk45

Drawing in Spreadsheets (MS Excel) Method 1 : Cell Borders and Shading Been looking at increased use of the drawing capability in MS Excel. First I discovered it is possible to set the cell sizes in millimetres or other units of measurement. Though as I suspected from using VBA, such settings are not accurate and […]