Daily Challenge Day 43

Seems we had a power cut overnight, so got up to blinking digital clock.

Today I was going to take a look at the Divi theme project type posts, but started looking at my spreadsheets instead.

I had started to modify my spreadsheets to use similar tables to those required by our plane frame analysis program. Thus creating a worksheet for materials and another for structural sections, as relates to the specific structure, these in turn refer to main tables having all available materials and sections listed. However, I have two different tables for materials, a result of the way the tables developed. The first table was mostly for self weights and calculating self weights, and was extended to contain material properties for structural analysis. The second table was created to contain properties of aluminium alloys for member design. I was going to use the “indirect” function to change the tables referenced by the structural assembly tables. Decided that would be too cumbersome, so abandoned that approach and back tracked. Instead decided to merge the two existing materials tables. Though still have a problem in that the section properties table has material properties for strength design for steel sections, whilst there are still additional tables for timber strength grades and steel grades. So there are several more tables to merge. With the additional need to identify steel grades in the structural section data tables. Then use material grade in the sections table to get material properties from the material properties table, rather than directly from the sections table.

Anycase jumped away from that activity, when I was able to get surveying books from my dad, and otherwise measure up the spirit level and staff used during our site survey the other day. Additionally get the constant for the dumpy level to calculate distances. Didn’t need surveying books or tacheometric tables, the manual for the level gave the simple formula for using the tacheometric cross hairs for measuring distances. Also from looking at the introduction to the tacheometric tables, it seems should have read the book first to make sure adopted the appropriate approach for using the level: as at the time the tables produced it required an uncommon method.

Anycase crunched the numbers in MS Excel, started to manually plot the elevations in ProgeCAD, but something went wrong, 3 of my profiles significantly different than the first: seemed to have missed a point out. So fixed that by converting the data into Autocad Script and copy/pasting to the command line. This was the main data I was interested in, however we collected additional data whilst on site.

At the moment though it looks like whilst we collected extra data, maybe we didn’t collect enough to make it useful. Though not sure about that at this time. Should have a set of taped dimensions forming a triangle, which includes one point linked back to the two station points used for the level.

So at the moment just attempting to locate two sets of points, define the shape of the site, and set its orientation to compass bearing. [22:28]

Previous Start Next